Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard Vs SIGTUNA Bike lock 16mm Heavy Duty Bike Lock
written by: Koby G (Silver Eagle Locksmith)
When it comes to securing your bike, you can choose any lock. Top qualities to look for are high security, durability and affordability. U locks are particularly common because they offer more security than any other type of lock. They are still practical and reasonably priced.
To help make the best decision here we will compare two common U locks. Here is a look at Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard Vs SIGTUNA Bike lock 16mm Heavy Duty Bike.
Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard
- The lock has a 13mm hardened steel shackle. This will prove difficult for any thief to cut using a bolt cutter. The disk style cylinder is drill and pick resistant. The hardened crossbar improves the security even more. It does not easily give in to the forces applied by brute objects that thieves can use to break it.
- The Kryptolok’s shackle is not double bolted and the steel used is not the best. Also included is a cable that secures the wheels or seat. This is 10mm in thickness and 4 feet in length. It is not really that strong and cutting it is really easy.
- ==> Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 price is less than $40.00 – included cable $ mounting bracket.
- The Sold Secure rates the Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 as Silver, while the makers rate it as moderately secure. It is therefore useful in securing bikes parked in low risk areas for a short time.
- The Kryptolok weighs 1.26 kg which is quite heavy. But one can carry it in a bag on the back without much discomfort. It has anti-rattle bumpers that minimize the noise during transportation.
- To make the transportation even more versatile, there is a Transit FlexFrame system included. When secured well, it works properly. However, many people express dissatisfaction with the frame bracket.
- online reviews of the product are anything to go by. The complaints include difficulty in attaching to the frame and the bracket slipping down. It is also difficult to get the lock on and off the mount.
- The Kryptolok is very easy to use thanks to the Bent Foot design. This means that one arm of the shackle has a hook shape. This makes it very easy to secure the shackle to the crossbar.
- When you buy the lock you get two keys. The Kryptonite’s Safe Key program however will help you get replacements in case you lose the keys. All you have to do is register your keys on their website and report any losses.
- The lock has a rotating dust cover that protects it from dust and other weather elements. With proper maintenance the lock will serve you for a long time without stiffening of the lock mechanism. What is more? If the lock fails or a thief steals the bike by cutting the lock, Kryptonite will compensate you.
SIGTUNA Bike lock 16mm Heavy Duty Bike
- This 16mm heavy duty lock is perfect for use in high risk areas. No brute force can cut, drill or break the lock making it very secure. The U-bolt lock enhances the security even more. It has double bolts that secure the two sides of the lock to the crossbar.
- There is also a strong mounting bracket for better security. There is a 1.2 metres braided steel flex cable that is useful in securing the entire bike. You can use this to loop the tires and the entire frame. It can even help secure two bikes with one lock.
- ==> SIGTUNA bike lock buying price is at less than 40$ making it very affordable. The lock is very easy to use. It has two Abloy keys that open the lock easily. The keyhole comes with a movable cover that not only enhances security. It also protects the lock from dust and precipitation.
- To carry the lock from one place to the other, the sturdy mounting bracket is perfect. The lock weighs 1.7kgs which is heavy enough to ensure the bike is secure but light enough to carry.
- When it comes to durability, the Sigtuna heavy duty bike lock is durable thanks to the use of quality parts. It is CELAB certified and will serve you for a long time. All locks come with a 100% money back guarantee.
You also might be interested on “How To Choose The Best Bike Lock” check out this article to learn how.
The Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 and the Sigtuna Bike lock are similar in several ways and different in others. Which one to choose? This will depend on the areas where you park your bike. If you only park in low risk areas then the Kryptolok will serve your needs. For high risk areas the heavy duty Sigtuna is the best option.